Friday, April 2, 2010

Snug as a bug ...

co - coon  |ke 'koon| n.  something that envelops or surrounds, esp. in a protective or comforting way.


While searching around for something to knit for the new grandson, I came across patterns for "Pea Pods" -- knit sacks to cuddle your newborn baby in.  I loved the concept so embarked on trying out one of the patterns.  I quickly decided the first pattern would not be as "cozy" as I thought.  So I tried another pattern.  This time it was apparent this was really designed for preemies.  Not what I needed!

What to do?  Design one myself!  It took a few tries and some jigging here and there, but I came up with a very quick, very cozy, very easy pattern.  Here it is:

(click to go to the printable pattern in a Google Doc.)


Happy baby gift knitting!

6 comments:

  1. I can start using up some of my stash with this. I am totally inept when it come to double points, is it possible to knit this straight and sew a seam? What color did you chose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! You can knit it straight with a seam. The seam will be down the center front.

    The one in the picture was made with some leftover Red Heart worsted weight yarn I had. I'm making another one with BULKY (category 5) yarn that is a deep plum. Linda loves this one and asked for a couple more. They knit up in around 5-6 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly what I was looking for! A coworker is having a baby shower next month and this is perfect! Can't wait to knit it up.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not entirely clear to me why you need the short rows to knit up the back. Would it make any difference if you just knit in ribbed k1 p1 stitch for 4 or so rounds? Would love some clarification--thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi all. I'm a relatively new knitter and I am really excited about trying this pattern. I do have one question though,when I went to google for the pattern you don't say how many yards or gms of wool is needed. Am I missing something ? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciate you sharing this pattern. I do a lot of charity knitting and hospitals love these. It's perfect for my treadmill time so I can feel like I'm accomplishing something besides walking to nowhere!

    ReplyDelete