Thursday, March 25, 2010

Get a clew

clew |kloō|.  noun.   a ball of yarn
skein |skān|.  noun.  a length of thread or yarn, loosely coiled


Have I mentioned how much I like my yarn winder?  I love the way it makes a "clew" of yarn that has a flat bottom and top so it doesn't roll away.  And because it makes centre-pull balls I don't have to go fishing around to find that hidden inside end to start the project with.  It almost makes me want to rewind every skein of yarn into a clew before using it ...


So next time someone tells you to "get a clue"  why not go yarn shopping.

4 comments:

  1. So I googled "yarn winders" and got a 'slew' :-) of information. Hand cranked or electric? Wooden$$$$$ or Japanese plastic? Do you have one of those umbrella things? I need you to come and tell me what to do with my yarn stash. It is nice fibers but a ball of this and a ball of that. Right now I am knitting a scarf using up some left over eyelash yarn from the 90s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, by the way, i would rewind every skein of yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The winder is plastic (wood was stupidly expensive) and yes I do have one of those "umbrella" things (it's called a "swift")

    ReplyDelete
  4. Renee: go to Ravelry and search patterns. Type the word "scraps" in to the search box and you'll get 41 pages of projects designed for using up your stash scraps!!

    ReplyDelete