Saturday, March 31, 2012





Change  \chānj\  v.  1. To make different in some particular way  2. To replace with another


Have you ever found a pattern you really like but you weren’t so fond of the pattern stitch?  Or maybe you found this really cool pattern stitch and wanted to use it on a different pattern?  Well, that’s what this month is all about:  changing a pattern to fit a different stitch or color work design.



I used the baby hat pattern from February for this exercise.  There are a few things to consider before simply imposing a new pattern stitch to a project.

  • How many stitches does your project have?
  • How many stitches does the pattern stitch work over?
  • Can you multiply the pattern stitch repeats to fit your project?



Confused?  Let’s break it down.  The Newborn Baby Hat has 66 stitches.  To stay within the size range of a newborn’s head, those stitches can be increased to a maximum of 70.  I know I can choose a pattern stitch that is a multiple of 66-70 stitches. 

The first pattern stitch I wanted to try was a very simple lace pattern.  The pattern was created over 10 stitches.  I increased my number of stitches on the hat pattern to 70 and did 7 repeats of the lace stitch. 

But wouldn’t that affect how I would do the crown decreases?  Yes and no.  The method of decreasing on the crown is also a simple mathematical problem.  You want decreases to repeat over 9-11 stitches to get a nice top shape.  For example, for decreases worked over 10 stitches you would knit 8 stitches, then knit 2 together … and then repeat that all the way around.  Each following row you simply knit 1 less stitch before knitting 2 together – k7, k2tog – k6, k2tog – etc.



Next, I tried a simple chevron lace stitch.  This pattern was also worked over 10 stitches, so all the changes I had done for the lace hat were applicable. 

Last, I decided to try some color work.  I found a little interlocking swirl pattern that I thought would make a cute hat.  It was worked over 6 stitches.  Easy!  The original hat pattern uses 66 stitches … 6 stitches  x  11 repeats  =  66 stitches


So there you have it.  3 new and completely different looking hats from one simple pattern.  I’ve added all three variation instructions on the Patterns page for you.  This month’s challenge:  make your own ch-ch-changes the newborn hospital hat.  And … why not send me a photo so we can see what you’ve done!

No comments:

Post a Comment